Monday, July 29, 2013

Trail Running in the City

A while ago when I was shopping for trail shoes, the salesperson asked me where I did my trail running.  I replied that I did a few organised events, otherwise most of my off-road running was around town.  I don't think he really believed me, but it is true!  Even though I live in the centre of a city of 1.5 million people there are plenty of areas to run off pavement.  You just need to know where to go.

I managed to run 9.5km today (thank you ITB!) and a lot of that was off-road.  After a couple of k's of pavement and grass verges, I ducked down some steep steps into Jagger's Bush:


 My spirits instantly soar as soon as I hit this little oasis - it is short, but sweet!


I emerged at the sports field, ran around the crunchy gravel track, then crossed Meola Road into more bush - this time alongside the water's edge and a tangle of mangroves:


I introduced my immaculate white Wave Riders to some lovely mud, then it was out onto some open grass with a track - obviously somebody else runs this route!


At the tip of this peninsula Meola Reef runs right out into the harbour - it is actually an old lava flow and you can walk all the way out there when the tide is low:


Not today though - instead I continued around the peninsula and returned home via Western Springs park.  No pics from there today though, so that can be another story!

So many city parks are linked by great running routes, allowing you to reduce the amount of pavement you pound.  I keep discovering more and more of this secret network as my distances increase and I venture further.  I thought I knew Auckland well - until I started running!

If you have a choice, which route do you prefer to take - the trail or the pavement?



8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that!! I need to cut down on my pavement running, and never knew these trails were there! I kept bypassing them, running the streets instead. I'll have to check them out :) Maybe we could meet up at the Cornwall Park park run one weekend... Not this weekend though, there's the 10km Unitec race on Sunday! You going? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found a new track yesterday, so close to home and I never knew about it! We'll definitely do Cornwall one weekend! Decided not to do the Unitec 10k because it doesn't fit with my training plan and I don't want to over-do it! Look forward to hearing your report!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pics! Looks like you have some great trails & off-road paths! I prefer to run on trails, but I still do a fair amount of road running. I especially love to descend on the trails. It's the payoff for making it up the big hills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the downhills too! I manage to overtake runners on the downhill, and the same runners overtake me on the uphill. It's clear where I need work!

      Delete
  3. How great that there's trail running near you! Those water views are really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- looks gorgeous!
    You should start running tours in Aukland!
    I'm glad your IT band is holding up well. Although trails can be harder on a body with the up and downhills, I think they're easier because of the softer ground.
    I'd definitely choose trails every time over road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the softer ground is giving me fewer niggles. I'm still trying to avoid hills because I don't trust my ITB 100%!

      Delete
  5. So envious!What an absolutely gorgeous place to run. And YAY! for a happy IT Band!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...